Monday, September 7, 2009

Beach, Salsa, & Mayan Legends

Keeping up a blog is harder than I thought it would be - everything has been so busy in México!! Today is the first day of my second week of classes, and I'm definitely enjoying them all, especially la antropología de la salud (the anthropology of health), in which we explore how different cultures and people approach the subject of health and healthcare. I'm also taking literatura latinoamericana, antropología latinoamericana, a US-Mexican relations course (which I find extra interesting because we've always learned it from the US perspective - our ideas are definitely being shaken up), and a Spanish language course as part of the program.

Getting around the city and out to do things has become much easier now that I'm used to the layout and am able to use public transportation efficiently. Apart from reading for classes, last week my new friends and I spent time salsa dancing, celebrating a birthday, a day at the beach (Progreso, a 20 minute drive, and absolutely gorgeous...though I forgot my camera, I'll be back this week and I'll be sure to take pictures then), and yesterday @ Uxmal, one of the most famous and well-preserved of the Mayan ruins.

I don't think I can fully describe in words and pictures how incredible being @ Uxmal was. Learning about the Mayan people and seeing such well-preserved buildings and structures that they created was fascinating, but what amazed me most was climbing to the top of one of the pyramids and simply taking in the view of the ancient city surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. In talking with the locals about Uxmal, I discovered legends and superstitions that persist strongly today. For example, the great pyramid of Uxmal was said to be built in one night by a Mayan bruja (witch) for the ruler of the kingdom in exchange for the life of her son. In actuality, the pyramid seems to be built in five separate stages, incorporating new and experimental forms in architecture seen nowhere else in the world. The mysterious disappearance of the people of this city, added to their brilliance in science and technology, has many people believing that the Mayans were actually extraterrestrial beings. My host family, interestingly enough, believes a great deal of the Mayan legends, so conversations with them are super-interesante. For example, the prophesies of the Mayans, according to them, have come true for hundreds of events that have occured over the last thousand years. On December 12, 2012, the day that several ancient caledars end, they believe will be the Great Awakening of the world - suddenly there will be no more sickness or violence; people will live in peace and have complete understanding of the world. I think that's what I'm enjoying most about Mexico: that there are so many interesting ways of thinking (most less fantastic than this, but not less intriguing), and everyone's willing to share their opinion with you.

Abrazos de México, Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment